Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dr. Champion

I was going back through some of my pictures from when Macy 1st arrived and I realized that I did not post a couple of pictures that are pretty important to me. I work for the physician that took care of me through my pregnancy. And I have always said that if I ever got pregnant that I would never see any of the doctors that I work for just because of the whole weird factor. Once I found out I was pregnant and my infertility doctor released me from his care to my regular ObGyn. I knew with out a doubt that I wanted Dr. Champion to take care of me and my baby.

With knowing what all we went through to get pregnant and not having any luck with the reproductive endocrinologist we were seeing she recommended we see Dr. Dunn. She said "If it was me or my sisters he is who I would go to." So that's what I did. Within the next month I was sitting in his office and we were off on the next part of this journey. And 6 months later he had us pregnant! I felt like I owed Dr. Champion everything. In my eyes God put her in my life to direct me and Jeff down the right road, because clearly we had been on the wrong one.

When I asked her if she would take care of me during my pregnancy her response was "I would be honored to take care you and your baby." It wasn't so much me that I was concerned about but I wanted my child to have what I thought was the best care possible. She allowed me to trust her completely (which is not something I do easily). She worried about things for me so that I could enjoy my pregnancy. Since I live and breath Ob/Gyn every single day, she made it known over and over again that she did not want me to just assume anything or feel like I already knew what was going on since I deal with problems and questions from our patients everyday. This was my 1st pregnancy and she wanted it special for me. If I had any questions no matter how little or big I was to come to her and talk to her about it. I always felt completely taken care of.

I was scheduled for my induction on December 8 fully knowing that I was an elective induction. Meaning that if another patient(s) come in to L&D or were scheduled for inductions due to medical reasons that I would be bumped to another day or even off the schedule completely. Sure enough on 12/7 Dr. Champion called me into her office and said that she had been to L&D and was told that I was not looking so good to get in for that night.. Due to others with medical issues that "beat" me out. I had already prepared myself weeks ahead of time that this would happen. So I was okay, disappointed but okay. I could see a look come across her face like she had let me down. Which was not the case and at that moment I felt like I was trying to make her feel better about the whole situation. We decided together to just start the induction on 12/9 with a deliver day of 12/10/10.

I woke up the next morning feeling anxious,nervous,scared and everything in between. Over the course of the day I received quite a few text messages from her encouraging me and letting me know that everything was going to be okay. On the way to the hospital that night she text again to let me know she was still thinking about us and that she would see me the next morning before she went to the clinic.

At 7:30am she walked through the door of my labor room. We talked, she did what she had to do and then let me know she would be watching me and Macy over the computer at the clinic and she would see me again in a couple of hours. After she left that is when Macy's heart rate started "acting up" and she was texting me again letting me know that even though she wasn't there she could see everything and that everything was still okay and that I didn't need to worry about anything. After her morning was over at the clinic she came back and hung out at the hospital until I delivered. This is when I saw just exactly what kind of doctor I had. When Macy's heart rate started decelerating and I was beginning to be prepped for an emergency C-Section she came to the head of my bed, saw that I was crying and gave me a hug. Whispered in my ear again that she was going to make sure Macy was safe and everything would be fine. Once we were in the OR and the surgery had started the next words I heard out of her mouth were. " Well hello Macy, hi there pretty girl." And then she showed me my daughter for the 1st time.

I feel like I owe her everything I have for doing exactly what she said she would do. Taking care of both of us.

Me, Macy & Dr. Champion
remember this is me working on NO sleep.

2 comments:

Nicole Rodriguez said...

AWE that brought tears to my eyes! She's your Dr. Patterson! That is how I feel about Dr. Patterson after EVERYTHING I have been thru with her. I'm so happy you have Dr. Champion. She sounds amazing!

Shannon said...

Such a sweet, sweet post! What an amazing doctor you have! I love my OBGYN so much and can only imagine how close you must feel to yours!