Monday, January 31, 2011

Are we on the right track??

Possibly!
What are am I talking about you ask?? Well, when Macy came home from the hospital we had her on Enfamil newborn formula. She was on it for 2 weeks when she started having a lot of painful gas and started becoming pretty fussy especially in the evening.
So on December 28, we decided it was time to try a different formula to see if we could get her to feeling better. So off to HEB we went. After reading every formula and every ingredient, we decided that Enfamil Gentlease was the way we needed to go. I mean it WAS for Fussiness & Gas.... After a couple of days the fussiness was better and for the most part the painful gas was better but she was passing gas ALL the time! Then we noticed her bowels started to change consistency and she was only going to the bathroom every 48-72 hours. This maybe normal for some babies but before we changed her formula she was going at least once a day. Two weeks into changing to the Gentlease (Jan. 13), I noticed that her face started breaking out again. At first it just really looked like baby acne again. But within a couple of days it had turned into Eczema all over her cheeks, chin, crease of her nose, and behind her ears. After a lot of research I finally came across a website (babycenter.com) 10 days later. And there were a lot of women that had posted the exact same symptoms that Macy was having just 2-3 weeks after starting this formula. I could not believe that I was reading my baby was allergic to her formula.
So at midnight I was up dumping out bottles that I had made for the night and just by chance Similac had mailed me a sample of Similac Sensitive over Thanksgiving that I had saved. So I made up a couple of bottles. Within the first 4 bottles I could tell that her face was already starting to improve. Still breaks my heart to know I was giving her something that was hurting her. So we have been on the Sensitive now for a week and her face has completely cleared up. Her bowels are still moving about the same but the consistency is not as much like play-do anymore. Her gas has also improved, yet she is still gassy.

The only reason that I am not a huge fan of this formula is because it is so foamy/bubbly when you mix it up. Which was the reason for most of her gas when we switched her. So after alittle research again, I went a bought the Dr.Brown's formula pitcher. It is awesome as far as I am concerned. You can make up a whole days worth of bottles and then just pour them as you need them. And it completely takes out all the bubbles from the over the top foamy Similac. And when used with the Dr. Brown's bottles we defiantly have had less gas.
SO hopefully with these 2 new things combined we are on the right track this time. We shall see! Who knew that formula could be such a head ache. You would think that formula is formula right? WRONG!
My next mission is to find a women/children shelter to donate ALL of the Enfamil that I have stocked up on over the preceding 10-11 months. The bottom shelf of my pantry is full of it and I can't stand to see it go to waste. Especially knowing how expensive this stuff is.
Moral of this story... If you start a formula and your child breaks out in any type of rash with in 2-3 week after, It is what you are feeding him/her. And stay away from this stuff


1 comment:

Nicole Rodriguez said...

Girl save all that formula for Nikki! She'll need it!!! And love that little lovie with her paci - so sweet!