Monday, September 7, 2009

Dad

Well this has been one of the longest weeks ever, physically and mentally and to think its not over yet. I got a call at work last Monday August 31 at 3:30 in the afternoon from my mom telling me that my dad had fallen from an attic rafter about 9-10 feet, and busted his head open and they were in the ER. They were going to take him for a head CT and that she would call me back with the results but for me not to worry... HELLO does she not know what daughter she is talking to! She just made a call to the biggest worrier in the world. After the CT results came back I received another phone call telling me that he had a bleed on his brain and that they were going to put him in ICU and watch him for 24 hours. (famous last words) I worried all night about him and about how my mom was going to take care of him once she got him home since she is just 3 1/2 weeks post op back surgery. We decided to head to Waco after we got off work on Tuesday. Another head CT was preformed on Tuesday and showed the brain bleed to be a little better and his body was absorbing it. However a skull fracture was found as well as frontal lobe bruising. Which is caused from his brain hitting the front of his head during the fall. Later Tuesday they were worried about his blood pressure being so high and his heart rate being so low. (40s) On Wednesday the finally started BP meds which helped ease his headache a little. Wednesday was a bad day with feeling very nauseated all day. He became very light and noise sensitive and everything aggrivated him. Thursday he seemed somewhat better and late afternoon the decision was made to move him to a regular room. On Friday we noticed a bit of improvement as he finally started eatting and sitting up for periods of time in his bed. Friday night they changed his meds from IV to PO (or by mouth) the transition didnt go as well as we had hoped and he ended up having a pretty horrible night Friday. When my mom got to the hospital yesterday he requested no visitors and he didnt want anyone talking in his room. This was hard for us to see and hear since he seemed to be doing so well on Friday. They were able to get his medication by mouth all straightened out and when we went to see him this morning (sunday) he seemed alittle better. Started eatting again and got out of his bed for a little bit. I know that he has a long road ahead of himself over the next few weeks. So please say your prayers that he has a speedy recovery.

RECAP for anything I left out:
Fell 9-10 foot form attic rafter
Cut back of head open-3 staples
Brain bleed
Skull Fracture
Frontal lobe bruising
Fractured rib(s)
Blurry Vision and pain when looking side to side
High blood pressure
Low heart rate
Sever severe severe concussion
I dont think I am leaving anything out, but I think this is enough!





2 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness! Please keep us updated with how he is doing. We are praying for a quick recovery!

Kathy said...

Still have him in our prayers! I hope that he gets to feeling better very soon!